Thursday, July 21, 2011

Stephen Drew's Ankle Injury Evokes Theismann

Stephen Drew of the Arizona Diamondbacks got the raw end of this play at the plate last night.


===
I'm pretty much speechless. And...I'm sorry. I just don't know what to say about this video that I just came across on Larrybrownsports.com. Poor Stephen Drew -- how about that?

Drew suffered a fractured ankle on the play, will need surgery, and is likely out for the season. And the D-backs lost to the Brewers, to make matters worse.

I've never seen an ankle do a 180 like that. It reminded me of a Great Horned Owl, which can turn their necks up to 270 degrees because they have fourteen neck vertebrae. It also reminded me of good old No. 7 for the Washington Redskins, Joe Theismann.

Drew's ankle fracture has that same "I hate watching this yet I have to watch it over and over because it's addictive" quality as Theismann's tangle with Lawrence Taylor did.

I'd give it a 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, and of course Theismann gets a 10. Poor Stephen Drew, he just can't win tonight. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for the 28-year-old.