Saturday, October 19, 2013

Jets' Defenseman Jacob Trouba Placed on IR after Scary Collision in Winnipeg

Photo: Tim Cambell, Winnipeg Free Press



















After a scary collision on Friday night, Jacob Trouba was on his feet at the Winnipeg Jets practice facility on Saturday morning, albeit in a neck brace, which he will reportedly wear for two weeks.

Trouba, a highly regarded 19-year-old defensemen, went head-first into the boards last night during the Jets 4-3 shootout victory over the Blues, and was taken off on a stretcher and sent to the hospital for x-rays.

On Saturday, Trouba sent out this funny tweet, before talking to reporters in Winnipeg:


He says he'll need to wear the neck brace for two weeks, then have another go-round with doctors. "I’ve got to wear this for a couple of weeks and then get re-evaluated," Trouba told reporters. "That’s where we’re at right now."

Trouba said he was scared, but he probably could have gotten to his feet if it weren't for the caution of medical staff. "I think I was more scared than anything," Trouba said in this Winnipeg Free Press article by Tim Campbell. "I went in pretty hard. My neck was sore so they didn’t really want me to move it. I probably could have gotten up and skated off but they didn’t want me to move. It’s probably a good thing I didn’t, just to be careful."

The defenseman, who was the 9th overall pick in the 2012 NHL draft, couldn't quite explain how he got so tangled up along the boards on the play. He appeared to miss a check on Blues' Jordan Leopold, then fell violently into the boards and was unable to use his arms to protect his head along the boards. "I think I was trying kind of hit him with my hip and I just kind of, when I turned my right foot, caught his skate and didn’t really get around. I didn’t really have much time to react, kind of fell."

The Jets are calling the injury a neck sprain, and have replaced Trouba for the meantime with Adam Pardy from the team's AHL affiliate.