Thursday, November 5, 2015

Beauty: Eichel Shakes Lightning D and Pots Fifth



The Sabres fell to 3-0 vs. the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday in Buffalo, but rookie phenom Jack Eichel kept showing his vast scoring potential with this nifty goal. Eichel takes the pass skating backwards than smoothly pulls a 180 to burn Tampa defenseman Andrej Sustr before cruising into the low slot, dangling a bit then burying a wrister for his fifth of the season.

"As a team we've been working on catching those passes on the boards with your back towards the D," said Eichel. "I just wanted to kind of push the D back. I think he tried to step up on me on my left side and I was able to turn the other way and get it for a shot."

Eichel was quick to give credit to give credit to defenseman Mike Weber, who spotted him along the wall and made the long connection. "I think that was a great pick-up by our D, that's a play we work on a lot in practice," he said.