Sunday, November 22, 2015

Eichel: I Can Do More



Sabres rookie Jack Eichel is still growing into the grind of a full NHL season, and he's not shy about admitting that he still has a lot to learn with 20 NHL games under his belt. “I have a long way to go,” Eichel said after the Sabres 3-0 loss to Dallas on Saturday. “I have not been too happy with a lot of my peformances so far this season. We’re 20 games into the year. I think I have a lot more to give in all areas. I don’t think this is nearly where I should be."

The overall No. 2 pick has been held without a point in his last five contests.

“I can do more. Scoring, faceoffs, power play, penalty kill. Everything.” Eichel has created highlight reel beauties, and leads all NHL rookies with 67 shots on goal. But he is only ninth in rookie points with 10 (He's still behind Edmonton's Connor McDavid), has and is carrying an minus-6 rating. “It’s long, quite a schedule,” Eichel said of the NHL schedule, according to the Buffalo News. “You’re playing a few games a week. You’re on the ice every day and it can be tough to manage your body and be up to play every game. But that’s part of a being a pro and I’m still adjusting to it. It’s something I need to get better at and get more comfortable with.”