Thursday, November 12, 2015

Wings Extend Abdelkader, Datsyuk Due Back Friday

Justin Abdelkader signed a seven-year contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, general manager Ken Holland announced Thursday.

The contract is worth $29.75 million, and will play the Michigan native an average annual value of $4.25 million, according to TSN.

"Really thrilled," Abdelkader said, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press . "It brings me back to the day I first put the Red Wings sweater on, how excited I was to play my first game as a Red Wings player. "Now to sign an extension to, hopefully, end my career here in Detroit is a dream come true for me. It is something that, as a kid growing up in Michigan and being a Red Wings fan -- it has been very special to me."

Abdelkader registered a career-high 23 goals last season for Detroit.

The Wings also are ready to welcome back Pavel Datsyuk to the fold on Friday when Detroit faces San Jose at home. The Russian practiced on Thursday morning on a line with Abdelkader and Henrik Zetterberg. Datsyuk has missed the first 15 games of the season while rehabbing from an ankle injury.