Saturday, January 9, 2016

Marcus Johannson gets two-game suspension for hit to head on Isles Hickey



Capitals left wing Marcus Johanssen has been suspended two games for his check to the head on Islanders defenseman Thomas Hickey on Tuesday night in New York.

“I just tried to hit him,” Johansson said after the game. “I went in with my shoulder, and you know, I don’t know if he had his head low or not, but I went in with my shoulder. That’s all I saw from my vantage point.”

Here's how the NHL's Department of Player Safety viewed the hit:

“While Hickey is low to the ice as he steps up, he does not materially change the position of his head just prior to or simultaneous with contact. If Johansson wishes to deliver this check, he must do so in a way that does not make the head the main point of contact.”

It is Johanssen's first suspension and the 25-year-old Swede only has six penalty minutes on the season.

In case you missed hit, here is the hit in question: