Sunday, January 10, 2016

Watch: Ovechkin Nets 500th Career Goal



Alexander Ovechkin became the fifth-fastest NHL player to reach the 500-goal mark at the Verizon Center on Sunday night when he rifled this wrist shot past Ottawa goaltender Andrew Hammond.

Fittingly, Ovi scored from his office, at the top of the circle, where he likes to take his morning coffee and evening buttered rum.

"I'm happy that I did it--we did it--in front of our fans," Ovechkin said. "My parents are here... It's a special moment. All my teammates came and congratulated me--I'm going to remember it for the rest of my life."




Ovechkin became the first Washington Capital to achieve the milestone with his goal. Ovi reached the milestone in his 801st NHL game. Only Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mike Bossy and Brett Hull reached the 500-goal mark faster:


Just to put a cherry on top of what was an amazing night, Ovechkin turned on the afterburners and toasted Erik Karlsson for No. 501.


Washington ended up notching a 7-1 win over the Sens.