Thursday, April 14, 2016

Sweeney: Julien Staying with Bruins



Boston Bruins GM Don Sweeney gave head coach Claude Julien a vote of confidence on Thursday despite the fact that the Bruins have missed the playoffs in two consecutive seasons.

Sweeney also said that fans should not expect a major overhaul of the club, though he admitted that some changes will be necessary to get the Bruins where back to the playoffs.

I think that we’ve looked at, and will continue to move players that aren’t going to help us moving forward,” said Sweeney. “In going in a different direction, that might open an opportunity for a young player that is ready to step into that. ... The fan base should really understand that there’s no complacency whatsoever, and that speaks to the assessment of the group that has won. We haven’t won the last couple of years, and we need to get back there.”

Most believe that Boston's problems lie on the blue line. The team gave up 230 goals this year, compared to 211 in 2014-15. They were also unable to win at home, going just 17-18-6 at TD Garden.

Julien, who many believed was to be fired, will be behind the Bruins' bench for a tenth year. If he had been fired, speculation was that either Ottawa or Montreal may have been ready to make a big pitch to keep him in the Atlantic Division.

But speculation on Julien's fate ended at Thursday's press conference.

“I did a self-evaluation: do I still have the ear of the dressing room? Are they still listening? All of that stuff that you go through after being here for nine years," Julien said. "Everything that came out of if after my evaluation with Don [Sweeney] on Sunday morning was that I wanted to be here, I want to bring this team back to where we once had it and I know that there’s some bumps along the way. I’m going to be honest with you. Would it have been easier to go somewhere else and get off to a fresh start? That’s not what I want. To me this organization has been has been good to me, and loyal to me. I love this city and I love these fans. I love the environment here."