Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Watch: Girardi Leveled by Ex-Ranger Boyle



Rangers' defenseman Dan Girardi had an injury scare late in the third period of Tuesday's 3-2 win over the Lightning, as ex-Ranger Brian Boyle shoved him into the boards as they jockeyed for a loose puck behind the Ranger cage.

Boyle was given a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct. It appears that Girardi was caught off-balance by the hit, and went in hard to the boards before laying flat on the ice.

Boyle doesn't think his hit was egregious at all. “I honestly don’t think it was a hit, I disagree strongly,’’ Boyle said, according to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune. “I don’t know what happened, I don’t know how it happened like that, I didn’t think it was much force at all. I was just trying find (the puck) and make sure I was ready for it and brace myself. There is no (malicious) intent there to go after one of their guys.’’

“He’s being evaluated by our medical staff right now,” Vigneault said of Girardi, according to Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants. “But as far as I could tell when I left everything looked good.” Vigneault declined to say if Girardi had lost consciousness on the play. “Uh, I didn’t get into the details,” he said said. “I just asked if Dan was all right and everybody shook their head (yes).”

The Rangers announced that Ryan McDonagh will miss the rest of the regular season after injuring his hand while blocking a shot on Monday against Columbus. Girardi would be a huge loss with just two games remaining in the regular season.