Thursday, September 15, 2016

Pacioretty Responds to Therrien Rumors and Tortorella Admonishment



Montreal Canadiens' captain Max Pacioretty has a response for all those interested in the recent controversy that has surfaced when it was reported that Habs' head coach Michel Therrien called his current captain the worst captain in franchise history.

"There are worse lists to be on."

During media day for the World Cup of Hockey in Montreal, Pacioretty spoke about those recent rumors and much-publicized critique from Team U.S.A. head coach John Tortorella.

Tortorella, in his typical no-holds-barred fashion, cut into Pacioretty after the Americans' 5-2 loss to Canada on September 10. "I need more out of him," Tortorella said. "He’s got to give me some reason to give him more minutes here. So we’ll see where it goes. We know he’s a really good player. Great kid. But we’ve just got to get a little more out of him.”

Pacioretty downplayed that controversy as well during media day festivities in Toronto on Thursday.

"Torts was asked a question, and he answered it," said Pacioretty. "I've had a lot of good talks with Torts since then."

Regarding the controversy with Therrien's comments, Pacioretty said he's also had lots of talks with Therrien, and the rumors aren't true. "It's unfortunate that someone would make something like that up. But it brings us closer together. I have spoken to the coach many times--I've spoken to him since then, I've spoken to the players on the team and we're all on the same page. We're going to show that this year--that we're all on the same page."

He added: "I'm not going to sit here and pout and say I wish it didn't happen. It is unfortunate--it's not something that I want to have to deal with, but I'm at the stage now where I've been in Montreal for eight years, and I know there's right ways to handle this and wrong ways to handle this."