Friday, October 7, 2016

Yakupov Dealt to Blues

Forget about those Yakupov to Chicago rumors--Nail's going to St. Louis. 23-year-old winger Nail Yakupov, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NHL draft, was dealt to the St. Louis Blues for prospect Zach Pochiro and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 NHL draft.

According to Nick Kypreos, the Oilers pick will turn into a second-round pick if Yakupov scores 15 goals or more next season. The Russian has put up 50 goals and 61 assists in 252 games for the Oilers, but never appeared to fit into the scheme in Edmonton. Well, the same could be said for a lot of players. The Oilers have piled of first place draft picks and been a cellar dellar for quite some time now, so it will be nice to see Yakupov, who comes with a $2.5 million cap hit and will be an RFA after the season, get a chance to play with a proven winner.

"I can use my speed and I can use my shot," said Yakupov. "Different place, different coaches, and I'm pretty sure it's a little bit different system, so I have to get used to that."

He added: "I think it's awesome, because I don't know what winning is, and I'd like to feel that, and I think this is a team where you can feel it."