Thursday, January 12, 2017

Watch: Taylor Hall Speaks on Returning to Face Oilers



Taylor Hall will make his return to Edmonton tonight to face the team he spent the first six years of his career with.

Hall, traded for defenseman Adam Larsson in the off-season, had for 20-goal seasons with the Oilers and emerged as a premier playmaking center for a team that never could turn the corner and become a playoff team.

This year, without Hall and led by Connor McDavid, the Oil are in the thick of the playoff race. At 21-15-7 they reside in third place in the Pacific. Hall's Devils have struggled, meanwhile. New Jersey is in second-to-last in the Eastern Conference with 40 points.

Judging from his very honest comments in the media scrum, Hall still hasn't gotten over the trade that sent him away from Edmonton.

"The disappointing thing for me is that I wasn't able to be a part of the team there that I had been a part of for so long. I played a lot of games and I thought I played hard," he said. "At the moment when I got traded, that was what I was disappointed in."

Hall has nine goals and 16 assists in 32 games for the Devils.

Hall says he's impressed by how well Connor McDavid has performed this season, but not surprised.

"I said when I got traded is that he is one of those guys that you root for," said Hall. "I'm not too surprised at how well he's doing in his second year--he's an amazing player. He makes everyone around him better and he's a really good person as well." But he still couldn't help turn the conversation to what he regrets about being traded away from Edmonton and its talented core of forwards.

He added: "That's why I said when I got traded that those guys are the ones that you want to keep playing with and you want to keep seeing grow, so those are the hard things."