Thursday, February 2, 2017

Iginla on Trade Deadline: "I would like to go"



Jarome Iginla tells Puck Daddy's Josh Cooper that he'd love to head for greener pastures so he can make one last run at a Stanley Cup.

“I would like to, at the deadline, go somewhere,” Iginla said in an interview. “I would like to be in the playoffs. I would hope that there is some opportunity to go and play in the playoffs. Those are the best games, the most fun for sure, and you have a chance to win. So no, I haven’t given up on that chance to win.”

According to Josh Cooper, Iginla hasn't really discussed the matter with the team's management. Well, they are probably aware of his desires now.

Here's some more from the Yahoo Sports feature:

“I think it helps being a younger team – I imagine that’s … I’ve been a part of it long enough to know that that’s just a part of the process and if they can get draft picks and stuff, you know for their older guys, the guys who are not in their future plans, that’s part of it and I definitely would be open to that. I have enjoyed it (in Colorado) and there are lots of great young guys here, and I think it’s going to be a promising future. But yeah, my window’s not the same as the other guys for sure.”


Iginla, 39, is in his 19th NHL season and has 617 career goals. Just six of those have come this season, but Iginla has 37 career post-season goals to his name and could most certainly come in to help a team in a limited post-season role.

He has not played in the playoffs since 2013-14, when he was with Boston. The two-time Olympic Gold medal winner has yet to claim a Stanley Cup title. He led the Calgary Flames to the final in 2004.

After signing with the Avs in 2014, Iginla has seen the team go from bad to worse. Colorado is currently 13-33-2 and in dead last in the NHL.