Monday, February 6, 2017

Malkin Speaks on NHL 100 Snub



When Evgeni Malkin was left off the NHL 100 list at this year's all-star weekend, several of his teammates and Mario Lemieux came to his aid and spoke on his behalf.

On Monday, Malkin spoke with media about the perceived snub for the first time, and he made everybody laugh (see video above).

“I tried to forget about that,” was Malkin's initial response, which drew a laugh. “I’m proud what the team said and what Mario said. I’m proud of my family and friends. They support me. I did my best. There’s nothing I can do. Those 100 players are legends. They deserve to be on this list. Maybe I’ll win a couple more trophies, a couple more Stanley Cups. Maybe next year, in the NHL’s 101st year, maybe they’ll send me a great black jacket. I will be No. 101.”

Very well-handled by Malkin.

The 30-year-old is getting closer to returning from the lower-body injury he suffered on January 24th against the Blues, but not quite yet.

Malkin wore a noncontact jersey while skating for an hour with his teammates before doing some individual work. "I want to be back soon," said Malkin. "Today is a step forward, to skate with team and after practice a little bit extra."

Malkin has 54 points in 47 games for the Penguins this season.

He's anxious to get back but he'll have to watch on Tuesday and root for his captain Sidney Crosby to reach the 1000-point mark.

"It's amazing," Malkin said. "Every night I enjoy to watch him, enjoy to play with him. I hope he scores three points tomorrow."